[GRLUG] LibreOffice Base connectivity problem

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Wed Dec 7 11:45:52 EST 2011

I'm having trouble getting going with LibreOffice Base, linking to
MySQL. MySQL otherwise works fine from the MySQL command line client and
in php pages.

I think I have everything necessary installed: LibreOffice, mysql, ODBC
driver for MySQL, etc.

1. Open LibreOffice Base.
2. Select "Connect to existing database."
3. Select "MySQL."
4. Next
5. Select "Connect Using ODBC."
6. Enter name of DB (permissions).
7. Enter username (root) and click "Password required."
8. Select "Register database for me" and "Open database for editing."
9. Enter password

Error:
	"The connection to the data source "permissions3" [because this is the
third time I've tried to connect to "permissions"] could not be
established.
	"[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default
driver specified."

I don't see any details in the LibreOffice Base help about what do do
here, nor any steps that I seem to have skipped.

What am I missing?

(I also tried connecting with JDBC, but that doesn't work either, though
I have the "Official JDBC driver for MySQL" installed.)

Thanks