[GRLUG] Bodhi Linux

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Aug 31 13:09:14 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:31:43PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:

> Anyway care to provide a small word salad about what e17 is?

e17 is the in-development replacement for e16.  e16 is a window manager
whereas e17 will be a desktop environment (like GNOME or KDE, but
better).  The Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (which are stable and
have been released) are stupid fast and can be used on phones with
incredible speed.  (They handle the behind-the-scenes graphics stuff.)

http://enlightenment.org

> On the subject, is anyone actually strapped for speed?  i.e., what is
> it you do that requires more speed than you have?  I suppose this
> would get in to how old the iron is one is running.  Today it wold
> take effort to get less than a dual core processor, and quad core is
> common and inexpensive enough.

I'm not, but then I was given a ridiculous laptop from System76.  I
can't imagine this box feeling slow even in six or seven years.

Most people need enough processing power to write email, surf the web,
and watch video.  With enough RAM even low-end boxes are fairly capable.

[snip]
--
john-thomas
------