[GRLUG] Google problem?

Dave Brondsema dave at brondsema.net
Sun Aug 28 10:06:52 EDT 2011

On 8/27/11 4:35 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, Jeff DeFouw wrote:
>
>> I often get the "I think you want the results for X when you searched
>> for Y" and I have to click on the "really search for Y" option.
>>
> That's normally an option at the top of the results page, .. no such
> choice in this case.
>
> The problem *could* be related to allowing Google cookies, .. normally I
> don't allow them, but have been using Google Calendar lately.
>
> Interestingly enough, turning OFF JS & blocking all Google cookies
> actually makes the search pretty ACCURATE!

Google customizes the results based on previous searches & which results
you may have clicked on, and probably more factors.  To remove those
customizations, go to the bottom of the first result page and click
"View Customizations" then there's a link in the middle to view the
search without customizations applied.  This is critical when comparing
search results from person to person.

Also, if a keyword (e.g. zebra) is used on page A contextually close to
links that go to page B, then page B may turn up in your results even if
it doesn't contain the keyword itself.  If Google thinks that is
relevant enough.

Dave Brondsema : dave at brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming