[GRLUG] Linux use

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 16:50:24 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM, John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 01:54:49PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
>> Indeed.  That's where the M$ monopoly really pays off.  Vendors would
>> much rather support just one version of their software than three or
>> more - windoz, OS X, and Linux, for example.  Much more profitable to
>> have one near universal platform.
>
> That's great—until the ISV that publishes that specific software package
> upon which your entire business is based releases that much-needed
> upgrade with the neat-o feature that will make your business a whole lot
> better, except it only runs on the newest release of that "one near
> universal platform."  So now *you* have to pay for upgrades to that
> platform for every one of your users.  Oh, and don't forget the new
> licenses for your Exchange server.

I can offer some insight here. While Vista changed some things and
forced ISVs to more closely comply with (inconvenient) development
recommendations, the kernel has a *lot* of features that, had they
been present even in XPSP3, would have saved us hundreds, if not
thousands, of hours of development time. Do you have any idea how
difficult it is to write a correct Reader/Writer lock? And it
implements them in a way that's orthogonally functional with other
kernel objects, which we can't do with our own userspace code. I can't
*wait* until we no longer need to support XP.