[GRLUG] Linux use

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Aug 26 08:53:47 EDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 08:38 -0400, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Well...yes and no.
> There are a zillion workers out there still tied to desktop computers
> who don't even get laptops at work.

Eh, don't even try to argue with these pundits; the old adage about
arguing with a fool applies [the observer may not be able to tell the
difference].

And this is the year video conferencing will finally become mainstream.

And welcome to the paperless office!

> Based on what I've observer, tablets and smartphones will almost always
> be used in conjunction with desktops or laptops

Yep.

> . Anything requiring
> significant data input (pace bluetooth keyboards) will not be done on
> tablets, let alone smartphones--

Not to mention any task requiring the visualization of more than a
pittance of data.  I find humerus that the PC is dead at the same time
users are asking for larger or multiple displays.

> at least till voice recognition is much
> more advanced.

Oh, yea, this is the year voice recognition will go mainstream!

> I've heard sounds that Mac Lion is being influenced by iPad design and
> considerations. Perhaps, too, work on Android UI will help move desktop
> and laptop "desktops" along.

As is GNOME 3, becoming more canvas-like.  But this isn't the death of
the desktop, is is the evolution of the desktop.  But evolution is
boring; death/resurrection and revolution make a better narrative for
exciting ignorant people [and thus selling copy].