[GRLUG] Email clients and console

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Fri Aug 12 12:49:30 EDT 2011

> I'm writing this using 'alpine' under Debian. It's running under the
> same screen session as my IRC client. we'll see how this works out.
>
> Only thing I've noticed so far is that the command bar at the bottom of
> the message editing window makes me think I'm in Nano, so I'm tempted to
> hit ^O to save and send the message. That doesn't quite work, as ^O is
> tied to 'Postpone', which I'll guess is something akin to 'save as
> draft'.
>
> Here are the instructions I used to set this up:
>
> https://lusule.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/how-to-7/
>
> ( And, yup, I hit ^O to save. -.- )

I've been a Pine/Alpine user since about 1995.  Nano came from Pico, which
was made by UWash specifically to be the editor for Pine.

It's possible to switch to vim for the editor if you wish, but after 15
years it would be hard for me to remember.  :)

I've had issues running Alpine under Screen.  It chewed up some characters
I think.  It's been a long time.

topher