[GRLUG] want to buy a B&W printer

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Aug 9 22:46:01 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 10:59 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Ben Rousch <brousch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm kind of surprised by all of the Brother(ly) love on here. About 8
> > years ago we had a Brother laser printer at work. It was such an
> > incredible POS that I swore never to buy another one. It's been all HP
> > and Canon and happiness since then.

I'd be surprised if there are any B&W printers that do not just work
[since 99.44% of them are going to just be PCL printers].  Recent
Brothers all seem to work well (although my experience is almost
entirely with the MFC series).  But if you want B&W go with laser and
not ink - faster, less trouble, and cheaper per page.

Anything that mentions PCL in the specs will 'just work'.  Personally
I'd go with an HP 4000 series [have lots of 4200 series units at the
office and they are the most trouble free printer I've ever meant - and
crazy cheap per page].