[GRLUG] BarCampGR

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:02:45 EDT 2011

If you think the Linux Socials and Big ol' meetings at Casey's
warehouse are fun, you'll love BarCampGR. Many of your favorite GRLUG
members help to organize this event and make it great.

---

Rule #1 of BarCamp: you DO talk about BarCamp.

http://barcampgr.org/

We're proud to announce Grand Rapids' sixth BarCamp. BarCamp is a
technology & design unconference where the campers (you) determine
what's on the schedule. This ad-hoc unconference is an intense event
with discussions, demos, and a chance to interact with fellow
attendees. Anyone with something to contribute or with the desire to
learn is welcome and invited to participate.

Although most of the talks are about computers and programming, we've
also had talks topics like home brewing beer, lasers, startups, and
management. There's really no telling what will be talked about - it's
up to you to and your fellow campers!

If you've been to BarCampGR in the past, you know how great it is.
Well this year we have a few new things to make it even more awesome.

Online Session Grid
Don't worry, we're not getting rid of the trusty old paper and marker
session grid you've grown to love. We're just adding to it. We'll have
a URL you can visit on your computer or smartphone to see a picture of
the session grid without having to crowd into the hallway. We may even
have an Android app!

Wall of Groups
One wall will be set aside as a place to hang up a letter-sized poster
for a group you represent. If you lead a user group, technical group,
or just a group that you think might appeal to BarCampers, bring along
a letter-sized poster to hang on the wall. You will probably want to
include contact information so interested campers can join up. There
will also be a place to list groups you'd be interested in joining,
but that don't exist yet.

Book Swap
This year we're having a book swap and donation. Bring exactly 2
technical books to BarCamp and leave them on the designated table. You
can then pick 1 or 0 books from the table some time before you leave.
Those books remaining at the end of BarCamp will be donated to the
local library system for all of the up-and-coming geeks to enjoy.

WHEN: Friday evening, August 19 and Saturday, August 20, 2011

WHERE: DeVos Communications Center, Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI

COST: Free! But everyone is encouraged to present something and be
involved, even if you've never given a talk before.

WHAT: ??? -- ultimately each camper has an opportunity to help
determine the content.

You can register and find out more information about BarCamp Grand
Rapids at http://barcampgr.org/, or about BarCamps in general at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BarCamp

--
 Ben Rousch