[GRLUG] PCI VGA Help

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Apr 20 10:19:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 10:06 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> >> In what way? 10 ISA + 6 PCI? Two slots are ISA/PCI for the CPU and a
> >> spare.
> > Is this some type of vertical appliance or a backplane extension to a
> > "PC".  How does the backplane attach to the mainboard [simple PCI ribbon
> > cable to the planar?  Or does the host motherboard have provisions for
> > the attachment of the backplane?].
> If it's the kind of system I had as a desktop box for several years,
> here's how it would be laid out:
> * You have a CPU card which has northbridge, southbridge, CPU, I/O,
> etc on it. Will have headers for serial, USB, etc. May have onboard
> network and video, but all of this on the CPU card.

Yep, I've seen those.  I've also seen tethered backplanes.

> * You have a "motherboard" in a 4U case which has three PCI-PCI
> bridges on it and possibly some routing logic for a keyboard
> connector.

Right, which makes the "passive backplane" a bit of a lie; that is just
an inherited/colloquial term.  There is nothing "passive" about a PCI
bus - PCI does device capability and resource negotiation and
'understands' bus-to-bus data transfer.  The PCI bus controllers are a
significant factor in getting something like multiple video cards spread
over multiple busses to actually work.  If you can't access them, or at
least interogate them to some degree, you might very well be 'screwed'.