[GRLUG] Maintaining Embedded systems?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 14:20:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010, Michael Mol wrote:
>
>> Useful information would include the output of:
>> lspcilsmodlsusb
>>
> Interesting how some emails loose the spaces, .. but assuming you mean:

Actually, they were linefeeds. Dunno what happened; they show up in my
original sent copy.

> lspci   not found
> lsmod   none
> lsusb   not found
>
> /proc/cpuinfo:
>
> Processor       : ARM926EJ-S rev 1 (v5l)
> BogoMIPS        : 794.62
> Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
> CPU implementer : 0x56
> CPU architecture: 5TE
> CPU variant     : 0x2
> CPU part        : 0x131
> CPU revision    : 1
> Cache type      : write-back
> Cache clean     : cp15 c7 ops
> Cache lockdown  : format C
> Cache format    : Harvard
> I size          : 16384
> I assoc         : 4
> I line length   : 32
> I sets          : 128
> D size          : 16384
> D assoc         : 4
> D line length   : 32
> D sets          : 128
>
> Hardware        : Feroceon-KW
> Revision        : 0000
> Serial          : 0000000000000000
>
> /proc/config.gz not prent
>
> /proc/mounts:
>
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
> tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid 0 0
> varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
> tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> /dev/md2 /mnt/disk/volume1 ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
>
> /proc/cmdline:
>
> console=ttyS0,115200
> mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x100000 at 0(uboot),0x400000 at 0x100000(kernel),0xb00000 at 0x500000(rootfs),0x5000000 at 0x1000000(data)
> root=/dev/md1 rw lpj=3973120

Looks like it's using MTD for a datastore. I don't know how that
works, but my guess (based on the command line) is that there are four
filesystem images in there, named uboot, kernel, rootfs and data. You
might pull a copy of those and see how they differ from relevant
mounted parts of your system; I'd suspect it boots, and then chroots
over to give the appearance of a mutable filesystem.

At the very least, that should give you some pointers for directions to look.