[GRLUG] Best hardware for Linux

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 00:06:52 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 17:00 -0400, Tim Schmidt wrote:
>> These days, nearly everything likely to be found in a laptop or
>> desktop is well supported.
>
> +1
>
> Choosing a system is pretty easy these days.
>
> 1.) Nvidia or Intel GPU
> 2.) Intel wireless

ATI/AMD GPUs - at least all the ones I've ever tested, from the
ancient Rage3D to X1300s, AMD's 785G integrated chipset, and a 4650
discreet card all work splendidly with completely open-source drivers.
 Including kernel modesetting - which Nvidia's closed drivers don't
support.

These days, much Nvidia hardware works with Nouveau, which is very
much not supported by Nvidia.  Unlike AMD and Intel's open drivers.

So essentially everything works these days, but some hardware is more
equal than others...

--tim