[GRLUG] Best hardware for Linux

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Oct 9 23:36:48 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 17:00 -0400, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> These days, nearly everything likely to be found in a laptop or
> desktop is well supported.

+1

Choosing a system is pretty easy these days.

1.) Nvidia or Intel GPU
2.) Intel wireless

Those two and you should be pretty much set.

Everything on my HP DV-3085DX laptop "just works".  Including
hibernation and the multimedia touch panel
(mute/next/previous/pause/play/stop/volume).  This laptop + openSUSE
11.3 w/GNOME and you are rolling.

If someone wants a "LINUX system" and they aren't comfortable choosing
hardware - ask someone for help.

> Even Broadcom - the last holdout in wireless chipsets has offered
> up an open source driver.

I don't know if this has really born fruit yet - until it is integrated
into distributions it doesn't do the end user much good.
--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>