[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - router performance

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:40:32 EDT 2010

Reality is a nominal 16 Mbps connection,
and the ability upload and download files
of a known size to a web hosting site.
That and a watch adds up to not much
room to hide - just fundamental measurements.
It wouldn't have been worth mentioning
if there wasn't this dramatic difference in
performance.

Agreed about the range, but I'm covering
the whole house with 802.11g, and hopefully
not the neighbors too.  So it all works for me.

For some users, this can be a useful
improvement in bandwidth just by shedding
a feature they don't really need.  I'm guessing
that not too many devices are just 802.11b
any more.

Of course it's the PC where the bandwidth
matters most, and not the gadgets that
use 100Kbps or so.

   -- Bob