[GRLUG] NOT LINUX - router performance

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:31:53 EDT 2010

There's a disconnect from reality going on here. Unless you've got an
internet connection with a transfer rate reliably higher than about
5-11Mb/s, going 802.11g-only isn't going to have an Internet-related
impact. It's connection-throughput-dependent, not ISP-dependent.

However, going g-only does have advantages, as long as all the devices
in question support it.  Data sent on a lower-bitrate wifi connection
will occupy an 802.11 cell's airtime longer than a higher-bitrate one.

Think of it like attaching 10base-T and 100base-T devices to the same
hub. (Hub, not switch, not router.) The 10base-T transmitting device
will occupy the hub's bus longer for the same packet size--and there's
still a minimum packet size: the packet header.

Different devices, even if they support both 802.11b and 802.11g will
default to eithers' available connection rates based on a number of
factors such as signal strength and quality, but each device will have
its own algorithm for making that decision. A single device choosing a
lower bitrate will cause a reduction in cell bandwidth. How much a
reduction will depend on the mix of packet counts and sizes for the
network's workload.

There will be trade-offs, of course. With 802.11g and an elimination
of the lower available bitrates, you'll see a reduction in your wifi
network range based on the layout of the structure it sits in.

Your mileage will vary. Test it yourself.