[GRLUG] does Debian run cooler than Ubuntu or am I just crazy?

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue May 25 13:30:23 EDT 2010

When my laptop died I installed Ubuntu (Karmic then betas of Lucid) onto
my wife's HP dv6700 laptop.  She had all kinds of overheating issues
with Vista.  I expected Linux to run cooler.  It didn't.  When I did an
rsync of my home folder (~70GB) onto a USB hard drive, the laptop
overheated and shut down.  If I watched a flash video for too long it
would overheat, even if I used a cooling pad.  Last week I installed
Debian instead of Ubuntu.  (You know, I've come to appreciate Ubuntu's
polish a bit...)  I noticed the temperature seemed to be a bit lower
than it was under Ubuntu.  About 30° cooler.  I just put in a DVD about
ten minutes ago and began to rip it to an .avi.  The temperature is
running about 135°—without the laptop's fan on full speed!

Am I missing something?  Could two very closely related Linux distros
really function that differently?  Or is Debian with mencoder hitting
125% of CPU really cooler than Ubuntu running just GNOME?  This doesn't
seem right.
--
john-thomas
------