[GRLUG] Watermarking "Print" Queue

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri May 14 11:03:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:29:46AM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I've had this stupid task on my to-do list since Febuary of '08;  and
> while I take swings at it occasionally I never arrive at something that
> works.
>
> We have a COBOL application that spools out jobs in PCL [a crude PCL at
> that] on an AIX host.  I have a simple "queue" on that host which instead
> turns the print job into a PDF and mails it to the user (which is very
> popular).
>
> However, users want to do the same thing but have the PDF watermarked with
> "DRAFT".  I've tried various cocktails with enscript, pdftk, etc... but
> never found a working solution.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

This may be way off base but in the TeX/LaTeX world, one must first
print to PostScript and then convert the postscript file to a PDF in
order for a watermark to appear.  The default LaTeX output is a DVI
file.  Converting that to PDF won't show the watermark.  It must be
DVI-->PS-->PDF.
--
john-thomas
------