[GRLUG] Android PDA

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Mon May 3 17:41:23 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Ron Lauzon <rlauzon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Benjamin Flanders wrote:
>> My wife commandeered my iPod touch, which I was using as a PDA.  Do
>> any of you use, or heard of, a good android iPod Touch replacement.
>>
>> The touch was really almost exactly what I was looking for in a PDA;
>> small, light, good battery life, wifi, music, games, ebooks, email
>> etc.
>>
>> I like the open idea behind the android OS and the fact that it is now
>> getting some steam behind it with, as far as I know, all the apps that
>> I am used to on the touch
>
> Good luck finding a PDA.  They seem to have disappeared from the market.
>
> When my Palm TX finally started to die, I looked around and found...
> nothing.
>
> PDAs have been absorbed into cell phones.  You can't get just a PDA anymore.
>
> I ended up getting a Droid, which works very well (but Eric S. Raymond's
> Google Nexus One he had at Penguicon looked really nice).
>
> --
> Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
>   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/
>   Weblog: http://ronsapartment.blogspot.com/
>
>   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

I would posit that straight PDA's aren't needed anymore.  When you add
wifi and apps to a touch screen mp3 player, it turns that into a
mighty fine PDA.

In my opinion, The only thing that the touch needed to be a perfect
PDA was better interoperability, and optimally, a camera.  I would
like UMS so I can move music, videos, photos, and ebooks too and from
the device easily from any darn OS and program I choose to use.

So my question was really looking for an android iPod Touch
replacement.  I could see there being a device with all the features
of the Google one except for the cell phone.  The Zii Egg looks
promising except it isn't out yet except for an expensive dev kit.

Share and Enjoy
Ben