[GRLUG] W2K Server P2V on VBox

Bill Littlejohn billl at mtd-inc.com
Wed Mar 31 11:54:55 EDT 2010

VMware Converter will handle the P2V migration for you and generate
the vm disk image with the modified HAL without changing the source
system. I've run this on NT4, 2K server, and 2K3 server without issues
on the source systems.
http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/
Virtualbox is capable of using VMware vmdk disk files, but I'm not
sure how robust that is in practice. You may want to convert the disk
using qemu tools:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-convert-vmware-image-to-virtualbox-image.html
Then, I've always just followed the instructions here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows
-Bill