[GRLUG] W2K Server P2V on VBox

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 11:32:46 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> We need to replace a W2K server for a client, and it appears that VBox
> might be a good solution (run the old W2K Server image in a VM).
>
> Unfortunately, the available notes seem to be oriented towards a desktop
> migration (e.g. trashing the current system by changing HAL drivers before
> copying the drive thereby rendering the original system nonfunctional).
>
> Might anyone have some experience with a successful migration? Especially
> copying off the OS & creating a working VM from it while the original
> system is still viable?

Only tangentially related, but I've tried Server 2k3 on Qemu+KVM, and found that driver support for audio cards is lacking.

As far as a direct migration of machine from hardware to a virtualized environment, the only pointers I can offer are the same that would apply if you were to take the hard drive, throw it in a different box, and boot.