[GRLUG] Circuit Design

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 11:19:40 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:

> A buddy of mine is really into circuit design and playing with
> microcontrollers/integrated circuits.
> But unfortunately he doesn't really have the time or the patience to teach
> beginner level integrated circuits to me.
> I have very little understanding of circuit design, and only a general
> understanding of the components that makeup circuits...
>
> So can anyone suggest any classes that they know of, or good books to get
> started... I'm pretty good at learning from reading, and the internets.
> I looked at a book from the library on integrated circuits but it was waaaay
> too wordy and I felt like I was interpreting sanscript as I read it.
>
> If I remember correctly GRCC offers a course in processor architecture - not
> sure if they do anything with Integrated Circuits - I live in Holland by the
> way.
>
> Thanks everyone who is older and wiser ;)

I've still got my textbooks from my introduction electronics classes. They're in no way specific to integrated circuits, but you'll need the foundation.  At its simplest, an integrated circuit is just a macro circuit turned into a black box.  Prior to the use of silicon wafers, "thick film" was how one built integrated circuits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_integrated_circuit

So, yeah, I've got a couple textbooks you can read.