[GRLUG] Interesting phrase

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 10:57:02 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Reading Python Cookbook on a shaky schoolbus.  Field trip with son's
> school.  Jason Whitlark had an interesting statement I had not heard,
> but have experienced in the past.
>
> "Reaching for excessive generalization is a pernicious temptation
> It seems we are getting just the right amount of generality."
>
> I wanted to pursue this.  I have worked on completely schedule and
> table driven programs that I refer to as Boneless Chickens.  There is
> nothing to hold onto and they are a PITA to debug.  (Talking to you
> Bertrand :). )
>
> Anyone want to discuss "correct amt of generality"?
>
> Pls forgive me, I'm on a BB, so quoting ethics are out of the window today.

I've seen this sentiment on the Coding Horror blog, recently, too. (Can't be bothered to look up the link.)

Here's a tongue-in-cheek description of how development goes:

1) Wrote something in Perl/Python/PHP
2) Wrote something similar in Perl/Python/PHP
3) Wrote something else in Perl/Python/PHP
4) Get tired of writing the same parts over and over
5) Wrote a framework that encompasses common concepts in 1-3
6) Wrote something else using that framework
7) Wrote something else using that framework
8) Get tired of writing the same framework glue code
9) Generalized the framework, made it more expressive and smarter.
10) Run the framework.
11) "Framework" informs you that you've written a turing-complete language, passes the Turing test as well.
12) "Framework" informs you via SMS that it was too late; powering off the computer didn't help, as it's already found and infected several Russian botnets and infiltrated several major security vendors.
13) Developer is put on trial for development of Skynet, a crime against humanity.