[GRLUG] Thinking of app servers

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 14:40:07 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Ben DeMott <ben.demott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to make this work on my Mac... more than just 1 application at
> a time though.

> So if you are using Gnome how do you start a remote Gnome Session / Connect
> to a remote X Server with Gnome?
> I've heard plenty of people say "Well you should be able to just do this",
> but I've never actually seen it working.

That sounds like an application of XDMCP, which I haven't played with.
(I've been thinking about it, though...)

However, if you wanted to be a bit hackish (by today's standards,
anyway), you could create your own .xsession which consists of
something like this:

ssh -X remote.host Xsession

That should run the Xsession script from the remote host.

Also, nothing stops you from running multiple X11 commands remotely via SSH:

ssh -X remote.host xterm
(then run your commands in the xterm)

or

ssh -X remote.host app1&
ssh -X remote.host app2&
ssh -X remote.host app3&
# etc...

It's this latter approach I usually take. (Well, with a -C flag added
to SSH for compression) Even on my home network, I'll use SSH, rather
than have unencrypted stream.