[GRLUG] At long last...

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 16:27:10 EST 2010

When I worked in the bowels of a corporate office and did IT work...
It was just about guaranteed that the hard drives in the Dell Mini-Towers
would fail every 1.5 - 2 years consistently.
I would say about 50% of them did.

Not one replaced drive - (retail purchased) off the shelf ever failed in my
time...(except for server 15k rpm drives) -> they failed fairly regularly.

When I was a young lad, I worked for Geek Squad for awhile... and I noticed
that If you inspect OEM drives vs Retail drives you will find that they
actually have different Manufacturer origins for most of the HDD Suppliers.
We had to dispose of bad customer drives or give them back... so I've
physically taken apart probably 200 drives...  The size or fitness of the
parts doesn't appear to be different on similar models of similar sizes but
they were usually manufactured in a different plant... In fact with Western
Digital this is how you determine warranty fitness.  The serial number (used
to) inform you of the Plant the drive was manufactured in. If the serial
number had an 03, 04, 05 in it.. it meant it was OEM -> In the key to the
serial number these same digits referenced "MFG Origin"
I'm convinced the drives made for OEM Computer manufacturers are somehow
more cheaply built as a whole than drives that come off the retail shelf for
consumers.

Just my conspiratorial thoughts on the topic...