[GRLUG] "Contact Manger" solutions?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jun 28 16:41:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 11:15 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> A friend of mine wants to track contacts for a new business venture so
> that everyone can see who the organization is talking with, ... but that's
> all [at this time]. The vast majority of other CRM solutions, then are WAY
> overkill.
> The compounding factor is that he doesn't really know he wants or they
> will be needing [of course]!

Without detailed requirements it is impossible to make any substantive
suggestions.  And, the simple fact is, there is *no* simple solution for
this problem domain because i-just-want-to-share-contacts is a totally
105% bogus description of a use-case.

Share what information?

Using what clients?

Between how many users?

All contacts are global, or just a subset?

> Does anyone have any recommendation for a starting point or seen any sort
> of feature comparison of *OS* projects that I could show him?

No such thing exists, or is possible.

If you want the dumb simplest solution just configure a mod_dav share,
point GroupDAV clients to it, and away you go.  Should kind-of work with
Novell Evolution, Mozilla Thunderbird, and possibly Kontact [haven't
user or tried that one in ages].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>