[GRLUG] rsnapshot problem with compression

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Jun 15 14:36:09 UTC 2010

Trying to get compression working on one of our backup jobs, .. but it
seems to be choking as soon as I add the --compress:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -a --delete --numeric-ids --relative
--delete-excluded \
    --compress --exclude=/dev/ --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys/ \
    --exclude=.gvfs/ --exclude=/lost+found/ --exclude=/media/ \
    --exclude=/proc/ --exclude=/tmp/ --exclude=/u/VM/ --exclude=.Trash* \
    --exclude=/u/Downloads/ --exclude=/u/VBoxBackup/ --rsh="/usr/bin/ssh
..

received request to transfer non-regular file: 3286 [receiver]
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at rsync.c(336)
[receiver=3.0.6]
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [generator]:
Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(1525)
[generator=3.0.6]

According to docs, rsync is *supposed* to use standard compression a la
zlib:

"... include compression and decompression of data block by block
using zlib at sending and receiving ends ..."

HOWEVER, it appears that either this is not the case, or something has
changed between different machines, as BOTH rsync's are the same:

	rsync  version 3.0.6  protocol version 30

If anyone can shed some light on the problem, it would be appreciated.

	Lee