[GRLUG] Windoze -> Linux VPN

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Thu Jun 10 21:26:47 UTC 2010

On Thursday 10 June 2010, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:32 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net>
wrote:
> > Would like to setup a VPN between four to six remote users and a
> > Linux server (OpenSuSE).
> >
> > Installed pptpd & removed it - flashback to the 1980s! Installed
> > OpenVPN, but it seems designed for 'nailed' connections (i.e.
> > static). I recall doing some demos with it many years ago, but it
> > does not seem like a KISS solution.
> >
> > What's the simplest way to setup a VPN between Windoze clients &
> > a Linux server? The clients will all be remote machines, so each
> > would be a unique termination point. The clients will be sharing
> > files in a single directory on the server.
>
> FWIW, we do use OpenVPN between a single Linux server point and
> several client points. Most of those client points are also Linux
> boxes, but there's also one Windows laptop in there, for field
>  work. Works decently.

Same situation here, though in my experience, OpenVPN works *much*
better with Linux clients (which probably doesn't come as a surprise).
The one Windows box, for reasons unknown so far, won't start the
service automatically (or something after boot botches it).  Once it
is started manually, it is solid.

Roberto