[GRLUG] backup/restore & changing partition size

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Tue Jun 8 12:02:27 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 10:19:54AM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Been having problems trying to move a partition to a smaller physical size
> (but plenty of room for the file system) on a Windoze embedded box w/NTFS
> (i.e. the original partition was 50GB w/10GB of files, .. the new drive
> is a 30GB SSD).
>
> Partimage or Clonezilla won't work, as it's low level and must use the
> same partition size or bigger; tar tools won't work, as they do not get
> the MBR (though that can be done manually).
>
> Anyone dealt with a problem like this?

I've used ntfsresize on Linux (part of ntfsprogs) to grow an NTFS
filesystem into a larger partition on a replacement hard disk.  It also
does shrinking.  Some of the GUI partition tools use ntfsresize.  After
you shrink it, you can use the low level backup/restore tools.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>