[GRLUG] Cloning FAT32 secret?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 14:19:17 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> Tried a number of ways to clone a FAT32 (W98) drive for an embedded
> system:
>
>> partimage backup/restore
>> dd copy of partition
>
> Both created a copy of the partition with files, but neither leaves a
> usable/bootable partition entry! (Tried both FAT32 & FAT32LBA.)

A partition is flagged as "bootable" in the partition table (which
controls your whole disk), not the filesystem (which only occupies a
single partition). It has little to do with the filesystem's actual
contents.

What you'll need to do is use fdisk or similar to set the bootable
flag. Depending on the OS that sits on the partition, you may need to
put the original boot sector in the first sector on the disk, not just
the first sector on the partition. Otherwise, you'll need to use some
kind of chained bootloader. GRUB, LILO and NTLDR can all do that part.

Beyond that, I won't be much help. It's been ages since I've done that
stuff myself.