[GRLUG] Ubuntu, Grub :"No filesystem found: Grub Rescue>"

bcreswel at morrison-ind.com bcreswel at morrison-ind.com
Wed Jul 14 10:01:31 UTC 2010

Gentlemen,

For the 3rd time since using Ubuntu 10.04, I have come to my laptop
with a frozen screen, and rebooted to find

No filesystem found
grub rescue>

I have not found a decent explanation, as to what this his or how to
do. Each time I have re-installed.
Just want to know -

1. Is this (the no filesystem message) rub just getting scrambled? Is
there a different fix than a re-install?

2. Is this just a bad hard drive, and  good excuse to try the
TigerDirect special that came today for a 96Gb SSD for $169?

3. Is this just bad hardware overall, and time for a new laptop?

For now, installing openSuse - figuring it's the 3rd strike, but I
want to be fair if it seems it's actuallly a simple problem relating
to failing older hardware. (Acer 5570 with IGMA)

Thanks for listening. Gotta check on the install.

Bill