[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC - Speaking of Infrared...

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 21:04:41 EST 2010

On 1/28/2010 8:48 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
> How cool was the room?

Thermostat is normally 72F, but that's in another room. I'm in the room
with the servers, which is usually about five higher.

> You seen to have a short sleve
> shirt on, but I think I can see the
> back of a chair,  walls in the the
> background.  Is it a big room?

I wear short-sleeves year-round, primarily because of the higher
temperatures in the vicinity of my workstation. That was actually taken
in Dec of 2007, I think. (The date is off on Flickr, but that's because
the source is a BMP, and the timestamp was screwed up due to a few
workstation migrations.)

Room is about 750 ft^2, or about 6000ft^3.

> Jet gets to the fact that because
> you stand out some the room might
> be large, and-or cool

I don't think you understand how far-IR temperature monitoring works.
If you'd like, I can delve into a discussion of microbolometers and
measurement adjustments stemming from surface emissivity, ambient
temperature and ambient humidity values.

There's more at work than just the wavelength of quanta, there's also
intensity of emissions, considerations of atmospheric absorption and
considerations of ambient temperatures reflecting off of other surfaces.

What it boils down to is that in practical conditions, I can (and do,
for use cases such as those that that software was written for) measure
surface temperatures to within 0.01C.

Don't forget I also control the palettization -- the conversion of raw
temperature numbers to RGB pixels, which goes towards making differences
"stand out."