[GRLUG] OFF TOPIC - Speaking of Infrared...

Matt Michielsen mattmichielsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:41:40 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think there are different wavelengths for IR.  What this simple
> camera trick will show is hi-frequency IR not the low frequency IR
> emanating from warm objects.  You would be able to see in the dark
> with this and an ir l.e.d. but you wouldn't have predator vision.
>

> Share and Enjoy
> Ben

I wouldn't expect anything like predator vision from my set up, but you're
definitely right.  I'm wondering if I'll see anything at all (obviously
while minimizing other sources of IR in the area I test it in).  Everyone's
favorite dictionary has some info on the ranges in question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared#Different_regions_in_the_infrared

My setup worked more like traditional night vision.  TV remotes become
flashlights.  Still a cool project.

-mm