[GRLUG] Bluetooth desires, a lack of docs, and the GRLUG wiki

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 23:32:37 EST 2010

My initial goal was to have my Ubuntu desktop to serve as a hands-free kit for my phone.  Failing that, I wanted it to at least act as a server for the Bluetooth stereo profile; My phone outputs conversation audio out through the curent default audio device, and if that happens to be a Bluetooth stereo, so be it--At least I get speakerphone.

What I found is that not even Ubuntu's karmic/universe repo has the requisite packages to *serve up* audio targets for Bluetooth, and there's not much in the way of recent docs or google-indexed discussion on the subject.

What I *did* find is a Wikipedia page that lists a large number of Bluetooth profiles.  I learned a couple things from this:

First, there's a crapload of profiles available through Bluetooth.
Second, searching by profile acronym doesn't help much, either.

I'd like to put together a simple table relating Bluetooth profiles with Linux as a server, and with Linux as a client. Each client/server cell would be a link to a list of setup instructions for various distributions, where available. Each profile cell would be a link to a list of places to read up on it.

It boils down to link aggregation and organization for a very narrow topic. Would anyone be interested in helping?

Also, I was going to use the GRLUG wiki for this, but found that I couldn't create pages, even while logged in. Even if I were given privileges, such a manual process makes one-off and short-term contribution difficult. I've got a fair amount of experience running MediaWiki*, and have been running an open-edit wiki for three years, now. I submit rosettacode.org as my resume for maintaining the server software. (Though I don't have the spare resources on my own server for hosting it.)