[GRLUG] Jenison Electrician

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 12:41:57 EST 2010

On 1/27/2010 12:25 PM, Bob Kline wrote:

> As I mentioned a while back, a 10 year
> old Canon flatbed scanner is not being
> supported  in xsane.  The author claims
> Canon will not provide the hardware data.

Well, yeah. But that's just planned obsolescence; They want people out
there buying *new* gadgets; Scanner quality is primarily limited by bus
throughput right now, so there's not much else they can do to get people
to buy newer models.

> But perhaps things are getting better,
> and for those buying new gadgets, more
> of them will have Linux support, even if
> Linux provides that support..

That's one of the awesome things about USB; It has a bunch of
standardized profiles that work pretty well.  There's USB Serial, USB
Audio, USB Mass Storage, USB Floppy...And those are just the ones I've
used on a regular basis.

USB audio is particularly intriguing; There are some extremely
high-quality, noise resistant studio grade devices out there that are
simply plug-and-play.