[GRLUG] Jenison Electrician

mikemol at gmail.com mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:59:19 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM, <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Casey DuBois <casey at grlug.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> For something like that you need a real electrician, however I'm not
>>> sure how many if any have the thermal imager like we've seen on TV.
>>
>> Most of my day job involves writing software that talks to them, but the
>> hardware we talked to is danged expensive. That said, we've written software
>> specifically for folks who do property analysis using thermal cameras.
>> (Windows-only, sorry; Driver support issue.) If anyone's interested in
>> starting such a business in the area...
>>

> For people who want to sell you
> information about how to better
> insulate your abode?  Maybe
> starting with triple pane windows?
> Is that a hot (...) business in cash
> strapped MI?
>    -- Bob

To a point, yeah, it's about replacing poor windows and adding insulation. The nice thing a thermal camera can do for you is help you figure out which windows, doors, walls and areas of the roof you ought to shore up, and which you shouldn't bother with.

(Now, if I may deflect the subject into a personal rant)

What irritates me greatly is that the SDKs for talking to the main types of cameras we work with is only practically available for Windows.  In one case, the manufacturer only provides an OCX file. In the other case, the manufacturer opted for a 3rd-party API called GigEVision, but the number of implementations of that API is exceedingly small, and the group of companies controlling the spec manage it more tightly than the MPEG group; I'm not sure how one could legally build a FL/OSS implementation.  There's one non-Windows implementation, but you pay through the nose for it, and say Hello to system library version requirements.