[GRLUG] Pre-installed Linux on laptops

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 15:16:42 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/26/2010 3:00 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org
> > <mailto:jtr at jrichards.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:20:50PM -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> >     [snip]
> >      > The technical details are pretty skimpy.
> >      > e.g., how much RAM.  IMHO it's better to
> >      > get a cheap laptop and just run Puppy
> >      > or something.  The netbooks look pretty
> >      > expensive yet for what you get.  A CPU
> >      > with no poop, and pretty lousy battery life.
> >
> >     It's amazing how these "netbooks" resemble regular laptops from a
> couple
> >     years ago but with a small screen.  I think the concept was a small,
> >     lightweight net device that wouldn't hurt a great deal if lost /
> dropped
> >     / stolen.  Now "netbook" essentially means "laptop with small screen
> and
> >     little cost-savings."
> >     --
> >     john-thomas
> >
> > I think the last line about covers it.
> > At present, they make little economic
> > sense IMHO.
>
> It really depends on your needs.  If all I was going to do was basic web
> browsing with flashblock, mixed in with a little SSH, it'd be fine.
> However, my laptop is also a relay point for my photography, so I need a
> little more oomph.
>
> Intel's NOBi is a neat little device I'd thoroughly enjoy if I didn't
> need to handle photo processing at a con once in a while. Otherwise,
> it'd handle my needs.

True.  My main gripe is that there
is so little product distinction between
a low end laptop and a netbook.  I think
a netbook should be sans hard drive.
It should allow you to attach as large a
flash drive to it as you care to pay for.
And I'd prefer that it be capable of
running a mainstream copy of Linux,
which for me could be Puppy or Ubuntu.

As it is, I believe they are simply packaging
gimmicks at this point.  Small and cheesy,
expensive, and just scaled down laptops,
not something rugged and cheap.

HP had a unit a year or more ago that
about fit the bill - 1GB of RAM,  16GB flash.
I looked at one at BestBuy, and but for
the fact they had none at that store location,
I would have gotten one on the spot.  Well
built - stand HP quality.  About $275.

    -- Bob