[GRLUG] Mounting DVDs

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 11:27:50 EST 2010

Re optical media decays, yes, this is
always a possibility.  Bad batch of blanks?
There's a vast lore about what causes
CDs and DVDs to deteriorate.  Whether
rewriteable media are better or worse
than write once, etc.

But there is still the issue of the original
machine being able to read them.  Perhaps
that has to do with alignment issues between
DVD units.  One hates to think about this,
but apparently it is common enough.
It somewhat says one should keep around
the very DVD unit they used to make the
backups.

But better is to try them right after making
them, one another unit if possible, which I
suspect few of us usually do.....

Thanks for the tip about ddrescue.  I'll
take a look at it.  The media in question
have no scratches, but there are other
possibilities.  In the end I'll probably
just put the DVDs in to the old unit, read
them, move them to the new unit, and
consider it yet one more lesson learned.

Your point about several kinds of backup
is well taken.  It's all a matter of how much
what you are backing up is worth to you.
And of course one always has to ask
whether their backup devices are working
as expected...

    -- Bob