[GRLUG] OpenOffice.org as Access replacement

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:15:59 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at creating a simple database with a front end.  Nothing
> fancy just want to keep track of a board game that I play.  Has anyone
> used OO.org Base and has any tips, or where to look for documentation,
> any good books?

I come from a MS Access background, but I have not had a lot of luck
with Base. Last time I tried it, it was much more difficult to use
than Access.

> I assume it would should be written in Starbasic, but googling it, I
> see you can use many languages.  Not being proficient in any of them
> (including Starbasic), would it be better to learn , say, python and
> the Uno interfaces, then to write it in Starbasic?

I may be biased, but learning Python is definitely the best way to go.
I did a short segment about Dabo [1] at one of the Grand Rapids Python
Users Group [2] meetings, and I think it has potential for making
smaller data-centric applications that I would have previously written
in Access.

> Should I skip using OO.org Base and instead look into another
> solution?  I would like to learn something cross platform so I could
> do projects for work as well.

Dabo uses Python and wxWidgets so it is cross platform.

[1] http://dabodev.com/
[2] http://www.grpug.org/about/

--
  Ben Rousch