[GRLUG] Search for someone on Gmail

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:42:29 EST 2010

As far as Internet-only searching (no groundpounding), there's a real
simple process:

1. Take an email address. Attempt to map it to a username, handle or
alias via a general search.  With how many sites out there now connect
to your email account and search your contact list, you might try
adding them to your contacts list, and then check the likes of
LinkedIn, Facebook, Myspace, Livejournal and Blogspot.
2. Search for that username, handle or alias through general search
engines. You'll likely find accounts on wikis, forums, blogging sites
and the like.  Check the profiles of those accounts; They'll often
have links to "you can find me as xxx over here -->".  Now you may
have more usernames, handles and aliases to run through.  If you find
a domain they own, do a WHOIS on the domain, and you can find out more
information.
3. As long as you have usernames, handles or aliases you haven't
checked, repeat step 2. If you come across additional email addresses
(particularly old ones, such as may have been used in old Usenet
posts), repeat step 1.

As far as the results you get, you'll notice a pattern of interests.
You'll probably want to throw out any usernames, handles or aliases
that come from websites that are distinctly outside of that pattern.

At one point in the mid "aughts", I was able to track down all but
about 10% of my Slashdot contacts that way. Yeah, I was very, very
bored.