[GRLUG] Compiling 32 bit app on 64 host

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Fri Jan 1 20:40:27 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 06:49:07PM -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Trying to setup a build environment for a production app, .. I got the 32
> bit gss & libraries installed, but make now returns:
>
>  *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.

This is a make error and make doesn't care about the number of bits.
Something is wrong with your Makefile or path.  Do any of the build
paths or files contain spaces or pattern characters?  Spaces and colons
can have special meaning in a makefile.

> Is it worth trying to it working, or should I just build a 32-bit VM?

If you can already run 32-bit programs, you wouldn't need a VM.  Install
a minimal 32-bit Linux into a subdirectory with only the libraries and
tools you need and use chroot.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>