[GRLUG] udev - not Unix

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Tue Feb 16 07:20:39 EST 2010

Haven't been reading my grlug posts recently, so was going through and
cleaning up my mail.   Someone is having problem with connecting to the
network, and there are "helpful" posts on what might be causing the
problem.  Someone mentions removing 70-persistent-net.rules from
/etc/udev/rules.d.

Ok, so how does it get regenerated?  I look at README, and see that it is
generated by 75-persistent-net-generator.rules.  I do a more on that, and
see something that looks like script, but I'm not sure.  There is a
comment See udev(7) for syntax.

I do a search on udev, and encounter a Wikipedia article, which gives me
the helpful information:

"It is the successor of devfs and hotplug, which means that it handles the
/dev directory and all user space actions when adding/removing devices,
including firmware load."

"Unlike traditional Unix systems, where the device nodes in the /dev
directory have been a static set of files, the Linux udev device manager
dynamically provides only the nodes for the devices actually present on a
system."

"udev executes entirely in user space, as opposed to devfs' kernel space."

Linux may have been developed based on the POSIX standard, but it is clear
that it is leaving it's Unix roots far behind.