[GRLUG] what's the opposite of a KVM?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:41:11 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for a piece of hardware that is kind of like a KVM but more
> of its opposite.  Whereas a KVM enables one keyboard, monitor, and mouse
> to control multiple boxes, I want to be able to flip a switch that moves
> control of my laptop on my desk to a keyboard, monitor, and mouse on my
> table in my office.  Any ideas?  I've tried googling for this multiple
> ways but my searches keep ending up with KVMs.

With the exception of the display, it's easy enough to accomplish by
just plugging in a second keyboard and mouse. That's what I have going
on in my home-theater setup at home.

As for the display, I have each display show up as a different screen.
(The TV is at :0.1, the desk is :0.0)  If you enable xinerama, both
displays become part of :0.0, which has conveniences as far as
dragging windows around. (I don't use it that way, though, because it
breaks vdpau, which I need for hardware-accelerated h264 decoding.)