[GRLUG] "network is unreachable"

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Thu Feb 11 17:23:23 EST 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010, john-thomas richards wrote:

> > 4) I'm not familiar with NetworkManager, wicd, or the other
> > packages others are referring to and you mention that dhcpd is
> > not installed. Have you tried giving yourself a static IP address
> > and configuring your routes manually?
>
> Doesn't Ubuntu (being a Debian-derivative) use dhcp-client (or
> dhcp3-client) instead of dhcpd?

Good call... I just blindly typed in dhcpd (someone else mentioned
that in another post) without thinking.  On a debian-based box, you
almost certainly *don't* want that package installed... I learned the
hard way after accidentally installing it.  Much hair pulling ensued
that day...  And I'm almost positive that Ubuntu uses the packages
you mentioned (at least the last time I used it).

Roberto