[GRLUG] "network is unreachable"

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 16:24:24 EST 2010

Item one, I checked the cable
and connection on another machine.
That could indeed be a time killer if
it didn't work, but it does.

Item two, yes, I tried a few static IP
addresses.  Nothing.  Only loopback
works.

Item three remains to be done.

I will install dhcpcd.  Despite my earlier
impression, I can mount a USB hard
drive, and move files to the machine
that way.

Item five - I keep doing that, but haven't
found the key yet.

BTW, the machine is a System 76.  I
managed to hose the setup within a
day of it coming to the door.  I'll get a
copy of Ubuntu Netbook Remix, put it
on a CD, and then grab necessary files
that way.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
Alas, this is more like an emergency
room situation than an organized
operation.  i.e., I can't reconstruct just
what I did to hose the Ethernet port.
But for that, one can go to a System 76
website and just restore the system.

If it was almost any problem but the one
I have anyway.......  :-(

    -- Bob