[GRLUG] "network is unreachable"

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Feb 11 15:58:52 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 03:03:05PM -0500, Roberto Villarreal wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Bob Kline wrote:
>
> > Does this much suggest anything to try
> > to anyone?  I've power cycled, but some
> > software might be missing, and when
> > I come back up I have to run ifconfig again
> > to set things up.
> >
> >    -- Bob
>
> Based on what others have already offered up and what you've already
> done, here's my stab:
>
> 1) The obvious: have you eliminated the physical connection
> (unseat/seat the cable, swap cables, change ports on your
> switch/router/hub, etc.) as the cause?

I don't remember if this is a wifi problem.  If so, could it be that you
(Bob) have hit the wifi-off switch?  On a lot of laptops it's in a
really bad spot that makes this easy.  My wife has an HP laptop that she
turns off accidentally on a regular basis because of its location.

> 2) Have you tried pinging an outside IP address?  Perhaps just your
> DNS server itself is broken.
>
> 3) Do you have any iptables rules set up (intentionally or not)?  Try
> deleting the rules if so.
>
> 4) I'm not familiar with NetworkManager, wicd, or the other packages
> others are referring to and you mention that dhcpd is not installed.
> Have you tried giving yourself a static IP address and configuring
> your routes manually?

Doesn't Ubuntu (being a Debian-derivative) use dhcp-client (or
dhcp3-client) instead of dhcpd?

--
john-thomas
------