[GRLUG] "real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ; ) "

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 17:23:05 EST 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:

> I can see this working if a business offers this as a service.  The
> service would be connecting multiple companies to store one another's
> data in this manner.  No business would know whose data is being stored
> on their servers.  What is needed is that middleman to coordinate.  The
> more companies that sign up the more seeds would participate.  That
> sounds reasonable to me since the each company would get something in
> return—sort of a you-scratch-my-back-i'll-scratch-yours approach, only
> each company pays to scratch and be scratched.  Or something.

I rate myself about a 7 out of 10 on the paranoid-o-meter, and I would
not use this service. Once someone has my business data, they can do
whatever they want with it. Even if they can't decrypt it now, due to
Moore's Law they will probably be able to five years from now on their
Nexus X smart phone. If my business has any sort of trade secret, I'm
not going to risk my competitor getting their hands on it to save a
few bucks on data storage. I'm just not comfortable storing anything
sensitive on a computer owned by some other random person.

--
  Ben Rousch
  brousch at gmail.com
  http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/