[GRLUG] "real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ; ) "

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 17:00:38 EST 2010

I've been thinking about a recurring issue...Namely that none of RCo's
remote backup targets are very good. My home system has a problem
remaining alive for any extended duration, and I don't have any other
good prospective places to I can trust to send the data. (No offense
to anyone who's offered, but it's hard for me to totally trust someone
I've never met in person.*)

I may have hit on a novel solution, but I want to run it past a bunch
of people (namely, you), before I do something this crazy.

Step 1: Take backup on server
Step 2: Compress backup to tarball.
Step 3: Encrypt tarball using GPG and a long, long public key.
Step 4: Build a torrent.
Step 5: Add torrent to RSS feed.
Step 6: Anyone who wants to help can point their torrent client at the
RSS feed. Data's encrypted, so I don't have to worry. With enough
seeder boxes out there, there can be several full copies out there.

Bonus: Server data migration happens much, much faster. :)

Steps 2 and 3 can be munched a bit by nesting the encryption in the
tarball, using separate keys for each subdirectory, or even splitting
a .tar.lzma, separately encrypting each chunk with a unique key,
tarring that and using another key for encrypting that final tarball.

* Yes, this is me we're talking about, and I realize the irony.

Thoughts?