[GRLUG] pre-installed Linux on netbook

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 18:31:30 EST 2010

On 2/2/2010 6:25 PM, peyeps at iserv.net wrote:
> "Only a single task bar at the top which includes the open window bar - it
> also shrinks as you open more windows to accomodate the icons."
>
> Didn't care for the remix.  I'm used to having multiple windows open, not
> switching from the bar.  Put the task bar and menu bar on the sides with
> Ubuntu 9.04.  Can also set the bars properties to auto-hide if you  really
> want the space.

For a couple years, I was a really big fan of tiling window managers;
They simplified managing multiple windows. Unfortunately, there don't
seem to be any such window managers that integrate well with the
plethora of popular apps that depend on system trays, panels or docks to
function well. (I'm looking at *you*, Pidgin!)

Maximus (a part of the Ubuntu Remix that makes sure windows are
maximized) is a half-decent way of getting that simplified behavior out
of desktop-paradigm window managers.

I run maximus on top of an otherwise normal Ubuntu desktop, and I still
have my usual keyboard shortcuts for switching windows and apps, and I
still have access to the panels with their applets and launchers. It's a
decent compromise.