[GRLUG] sysadmin job opening

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:10:40 EST 2010

The fascinating thing about trying to do things the "quick and dirty" or the
cheap way... is it never works out.
And you maybe even thought you were going to get away because your boss said
to you "Just do it real quick" ... and at first your brain let you believe
that maybe it could actually be "quick and cheap".

Then your program got to line 1,003,389 -> and you weren't using bound
variables because, well, you are being lazy, and its just supposed to be
"Quick and Cheap".

!line:  1,003,389
        error: Database Insert Failed -> syntax error at or near "S"
LINE 1: ...NE','RD','  ','0000001376','0000001376','E','MR K'S','    ',...
                                                             ^
Even if you have an error on the 1-millionth line of a file... the file
still doesn't import - it doesn't matter if its only 0.001% of the data -
you are still screwed.
I love programming :) - It is really quite "All or Nothing" - My boss's
perception that things can be done in varying levels of "completeness" must
come from the IT/Sysadmin people. ;)

Maybe varying levels of "features" or "requirements" but completeness no.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org