[GRLUG] sysadmin job opening

Ben DeMott ben.demott at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 10:36:02 EST 2010

What you are saying disagrees with the conclusions that Facebook as a whole
has reached with regard to efficiency and lower vs higher-level programming.
Surely there must be *some* intelligent individuals in the "whole"
engineering department at Facebook.

Results speak -> and Facebook has no Fail Whale. (I'm looking at you
Ruby/JVM)

As for compiled PHP....
Facebook has not yet finished the runtime...
It was leaked from this interview:
http://therumpus.net/2010/01/conversations-about-the-internet-5-anonymous-facebook-employee/?full=yes

What Facebook currently does is unique... they embed PHP inside of C++
applications and compile them.
The PHP source doesn't get "Compiled" like the C++ source does - it uses a
modified sapi to compile portions of the PHP source as functions.
The C++ application treats places it encounters PHP as linked-libraries in
memory... At this point everything is a series of opcodes and walla - os,
and processor instructions are executed.

Their current application (PHP Embed) is open-source anyone can use it:
http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=6146092130
http://developers.facebook.com/phpembed/

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org