[GRLUG] Wireless question

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Mon Dec 27 23:52:31 EST 2010

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. It's fairly easy to run
an SSH proxy on a Linux box that has a public IP. This will work to make
your communications sniff-proof by other users at the free wifi you're
using. I believe your DNS requests are still unencrypted, so anyone
sniffing could see what DNS lookups you're doing, but that's it. This
level of encryption is not the same as truly secure communication, as
once they get to your server, wherever it is, the communication goes
unencrypted and can theoretically be intercepted between your server and
the email or web server you are talking to. The only way for your email
to not be sniffed is to run encryption between your machine and the
server. GMail allows encrypted IMAP, but not much else does. Still,
email should not be considered secure regardless. Between email servers
(yours and the other party's), conversations are always unencrypted.